Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I Couldn't Resist...

...and so I cast on for my Tilted Duster the other night, even after I swore off yarn for a long while. But I am using the exact yarn called for in the pattern, and I got gauge so that goes a long way towards getting a good finished product!

Progress pic:

Yes, it's true: I am only just finishing up the back panel. But I hit a snag tonight and I don't know how to fix it! See, the pattern tells you to join another ball of yarn when you get to the shoulders and bind off the neckline section. Fine, I get it. But then you're supposed to bind off stitches on the neck side and at the same time bind off stitches on the shoulder side?

Since I am really trying to do this absolutely right and avoid a knitting disaster like the Green Cherry, this has me a little confused. When you bind off at the end of a row, you end up with one stitch left over, right? So...(and this may be a stupid question because I have searched all over the internet for the answer and no one else seems to be having this problem)...am I supposed to bind off those stitches at the beginning of the row on my way back? This seems the most logical solution unless there is some magic knitting trick that I don't know about (and truly, that wouldn't surprise me).

I just put the lovely thing away until I either find the proper answer or just say to hell with it and stagger the rows, which will probably happen sometime tomorrow afternoon. I'm not the most patient person. ;-)

1 comment:

K8 said...

I think you're right. I remember having a similar issue with the Mason-Dixon baby kimono. Now, if you had 2 balls of yarn to knit from you could in theory be doing shoulder decreases for the right side and neck decreases for the left side in the same row.

But I'd go with your gut - I ended up doing the decreases on the next row and it came out fine. Good luck!