Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Bits and Pieces

Hmmm...not much progress on the knitting front these past couple of days.

I finished Clue 5 on the MS3 a few days ago but then I promptly ran out of yarn and haven't bothered to join the next ball. Progress pic:











To give my itchy fingers something else to work on, I also decided to cast on for a new tank top. I'm using the Cherry Twist pattern from knitty and 3 skeins of Cascade 220 in color number 2429. It's one of their heathered yarns in a bright green/olive mix and I really like how the color is turning out:

Not much progress at this point! I cast on and knit one row and then I had to go to bed. This is the first time I've used Cascade 220 and I am really surprised by how soft it seems. I would have expected it to be rougher, so I am very happy.

The original pattern for this sweater used yarn that was much bulkier than this stuff. We're talking 3 stitches to the inch! But I didn't really want a bulky tank and I was really just looking for something to do with the 3 skeins of this yarn that I have, so I spent a good amount of time with a pencil and calculator changing the stitch count in the pattern to fit my gauge. Now I just have to cross my fingers and hope it looks OK (and that I have enough yarn!).

In more exciting news, I got my invite to Ravelry over the weekend. :) It looks super cool! I am really excited about the prospect of being able to store all the information about my projects in one place, digitally. That was one of the big reasons I started this blog! The only thing I'm disappointed about at the moment is that you can only post photos by using a Flickr account. I don't have a Flickr account and I never planned on getting one. I use Snapfish to host all the photos I share with family and friends. If I end up getting really into Ravelry I suppose I will have to get one (because come on, half the point is having your pictures up, right?). I just don't have the time or energy to do it at the moment. I don't have much up yet, but you're always welcome to come visit me there. My screen name is ClumsyKnitter. :)

Speaking of time, the past couple days have been kind of crazy for me. I've been running up to LA trying to meet with people to nail down an internship for fall. Today I found myself in the neighborhood of the Knit Cafe (and like any good knitter, I have a list of names and addresses for potential yarn store stops in my car). In need of some air conditioning (and, let's face it, some yarn therapy), I parked right in front and ambled inside.

First of all, it really is just as cute as it looks in the photos! As you're looking at the home page photo, all the yarn is along the walls to the right and left. The open area behind the front table is actually a little gathering place with cushy chairs and a low coffee table. I was browsing around for a while and then one of the workers started chatting with me, and the owner (Suzan) came over to sit down and join and pretty soon there were 4 of us (they had a friend visiting to knit) sitting around the coffee table chit chatting. It was really great to finally meet some other knitters (at this point, the only knitter I know in person is my 19-year-old brother) AND it was just really nice to have some other people to talk to! I love The Brain and all, but frankly I think he's getting tired of hearing about yarn all the time.

I couldn't resist: I just had to bring two little skeins of Koigu KPPPM home. Sort of as a yarn souvenir:

I'm sure I'll be back to the shop. The people there were so friendly and the owner made sure to let me know that they are open late on Thursday nights. I may have to make a habit of stopping by after work.

Gosh, this post is getting long! Sorry! I also stopped by the local Barnes and Noble on the way home and picked up the brand new Interweave Knits magazine. I am so excited because I already have the yarn for the cover sweater AND because it's Eunny's first issue as editor so I'm very excited to see what she's done with it. (Although I already really liked the magazine before.)

Wow, it's amazing what a long post I pumped out without having done much knitting!

No comments: