Monday, July 7, 2008

Look Ma, I'm Blogging!

Dude, I know it's been forever. But I was packing and moving and all that jazz and I'm super excited because we found the perfect place in San Diego and now that we're all moved in and settled, the biggest thing is to find a job. Easy, right? HA!


This apartment is the most perfect place I have ever lived in. It's near the center of everything, it's in a small building (only 4 units), it has more than enough room for all our stuff (plus storage space for the stuff we want to keep out of the way), and...I love it! We have been slowly getting settled in, which meant marathon trips to IKEA and Target yesterday, but we plan on staying in one place for several years (for once), so we want it to be nice and homey. This was the 10th time I have moved in 8 years and I am more than ready to stay put for a while!!! We have been doing a lot of wandering around the Hillcrest area (love!), and have found perfect places for brunch, used book buying, hair cutting, etc. It's so nice to live in an area where there are actually sidewalks and places that are open past 10 PM.

Anyway, enough about that. I have also been getting some knitting done in my absence. I am really close to being done with my Auburn Camp Shirt, but I realized one thing after I moved: I have hardwood floors now, so stretching things out and pinning them to the carpet isn't going to work any more. :( I have to order some mats to go under my treadmill so I'll probably just order a few more to use as blocking squares, but I plan on getting a real blocking board sometime soon. I am just really bad at making straight lines and measuring things correctly, so I think that is the best solution all around.

I also whipped up a pair of Nereid Fingerless Gloves out of the skein of Curious Creek Wasonga I had in my stash. I love fingerless gloves. I don't knit socks, so I think they're the perfect little project for all that pretty sock yarn, and I find them very useful because I get cold all the time.

I also found a project to make out of the Rowan Handknit Cotton my brother sent me. I'm making the Soleil tank top and it's going very quickly. I'm not a huge fan of cotton yarn, but the color is pretty and hey, it was free! I like the way it is looking so far...I just hope I have enough yarn to finish it!

I'm aching to get started on my B Side Cardigan. I have the pattern and the yarn, but I'm just waiting on my new Addis to show up in the mail. When I first started knitting 3 years ago, the LYS lady recommended using Addi Turbos so I bought a couple pairs and used those for my first few projects, until I realized that you can't knit everything on size 8 needles. I was in grad school at the time and didn't have enough money to buy a ton of Addis, so I ordered the Knit Picks Options set and was very happy with those for a while. But now, the needles are getting discolored and they have very obviously lost most of their finish because yarn doesn't slide across them like it used to. They also have dents and scrapes in them, from knitting with cotton yarns or knitting too tightly. The cables pop out of the screw ends from time to time and I am tired of ordering replacements, and the fittings aren't perfect so yarn catches on the joins a lot. In short, I was happy to have the flexibility of the Options set, but I would really like to knit with better needles.

So...I have decided to slowly start replacing my current set with Addis, and I ordered two needles so I can do my swatches for the B Side and knit with those. I'm just waiting for them to get here in the mail so I can start knitting!

Speaking of waiting for things to show up in the mail...guess who hasn't sent me my yarn yet? That's right--I'm still waiting for the order of Berroco Ultra Alpaca that I paid for in MARCH!!! I'm beginning to wonder if this woman skipped town because I have sent her two emails over the past two weeks to let her know what my new address is and ask her if she has heard anything about the yarn shipment (she ordered more yarn from Berroco, then told me they were shipping things "really slowly"...that was on May 14). I'm giving her until Thursday (a week from my last email) in case she's out of town on vacation or something, but then...I don't know what. Does anyone happen to know anyone who works at Berroco and can confirm that they are, in fact, taking several months to ship yarns to their retailers? Seems kind of far-fetched, no?

In the meantime, I have been petting this:


LOVE!

1 comment:

Yarndude said...

Your fingerless gloves look awesome! You're right, it was the perfect yarn. I also had no idea you were almost done with your Auburn Camp Shirt, or that you are a freakin' fast knitter, just look at that cotton top you're making! I had no idea someone could get that much done in such a short time. What are you going to do with that silk?