Wednesday, April 30, 2008

OMG I Think I'm DONE!!!

With my thesis, I mean. I just emailed out my final(?) draft, and barring any glaring errors or omissions, I'm considering that one finished.

In other finishing news, I went back to my Buck Fifty earlier this week in a fit of finish-it-upitis. I really really like the pattern, and I really really wanted this sweater to work out, but last November I stitched the front and side pieces together and discovered that it was too small. So it sat in the bottom of my UFO basket for months, nagging at the back of my mind. I'm not one of those people who can just abandon a project that isn't working out for me. I spent money on that yarn! Plus, I still really like it, I just couldn't seem to get it to work.

So I ripped out the side seams and added 2" panels of reverse stockinette running up each side. Now I have to knit the sleeves at the very largest size just to fit them into those arm holes. That wouldn't be so bad, except that I only have 4 balls of the yarn left and I have a feeling that the sleeves will take up all of them. The problem there is that I knit the button band according to the pattern directions, even though my row gauge was way off so I have waaaay more rows than were indicated in the pattern. But I went ahead with the pattern count anyway. (This was before I ever heard the 2/3 button band ratio.) The result is an ugly, too-short button band that pulls the fronts up. They need to be re-done, but I have a feeling I will end up ordering another ball of yarn for that and it will be in a different dye lot. Oh well, some things can't be helped. I'm finishing the damn thing, and that's all that matters.

In other exciting news, the Knitty surprises went up today and I am totally in love with the Tempest sweater! I have been reading Ann Weaver's blog for a while and really like her funky take on things. The funny thing is that I knit up some swatches for my next 2 projects last weekend, and they have been lying around on the arm of my couch all week. I keep thinking, "Ooh...I really like those colors together. It would be really neat to have a sweater in those colors." And then one pops up online and it's super cute! I'm a little puzzled by the yarn though. She says it's lace weight, but other places say it's fingering weight. Hmmm...must investigate some more.

1 comment:

Dana KBS said...

I think a different dye lot would look OK for the buttonbands...it might even look like it was on purpose, you clever knitter.

Congratulations on finishing your thesis! Whew! What a great feeling.