Friday, April 25, 2008

Coming Up For Air

I'm still alive, still knitting, and still working on that f*@#&%!@#(%&^ing thesis. I turned in the first draft last week but then I went out of town for a few days to visit the fam, who I haven't seen in nine months since I moved out here. It was a nice, relaxing weekend. I got to go to my brothers' play (they carved out the two male leads for themselves, thank you very much), I got to be around for my youngest sister's 8th birthday (and the even more fun family barbecue that accompanied it), and I got to see my older sister's seriously cute 9-month-old baby, and my younger sister's seriously weird-looking 2-month-old baby. (He's getting cuter, but newborns often look kinda strange.)

I have been doing some small knitting, in between working on my research and throwing myself on the office floor in some kind of rebellious, flailing "movement piece" (if I pretend it's art, it can't be called a tantrum, right?). Thank you to everyone who filled out my lengthy survey. You have my gratitude.

But you don't care about that stuff. You want to see some knitting, right?

I started the Hanami Stole a couple weeks ago, and last night finished up the last repeat of the first chart:

I am using Malabrigo lace in the Cactus Flower colorway. I'm not normally a huge fan of pink, but since it's supposed to represent the cherry blossoms and all, I thought I would play along. I really wish I would have gone with my gut instincts and picked up two skeins that matched each other more closely in color (they are from the same dye lot though). But the women in the yarn shop insisted that the colors would blend better than they really are, and I'm not too excited about the stripey look. Plus I wish I had used a gray color (Polar Morn, maybe?) instead of pink because I feel like I'm knitting spun Pepto Bismol and that's just no fun for anyone.

I'm adding beads to the pattern too, but you can't see them because my camera is pretty much dead and I have been taking all my photos with my iPhone. The phone is lovely, but it has no zoom or flash so what you see is what you get.

While I was out of town, I also started working on my Something Red.

It's a super easy knit, and I wanted to get the Cascade 220 out of my stash. Last night I got down to the ribbing of the lower half, and I should be able to finish this off over the weekend. Nothing like a quick and dirty sweater to make you feel like you're accomplishing something!













I also went shopping while I was out of town and came back with these:

Malabrigo lace in Stone Chat, Pearl Ten, and Paris Night. I have no idea what these will be for, but this stuff is the softest, squooshiest lace I have ever worked with and I just needed some.



OK, enough indulging in my blog. Back to the thesis. *sigh*

1 comment:

Yarndude said...

I don't think the pepto-bismol stripes look bad. I just don't understand how you can deal with having to switch skeins every few rows. That would make me go insane! If they dyed solid colors of that yarn I would be all over it!