Wednesday, July 25, 2007

91 Degrees and Climbing

This is what I have been doing for the past two days:











And this:











Oh, and a couple rows of this:














Last night after collapsing onto the couch exhausted, I reached for my MS3 stole and started working a couple rows...then realized I was one stitch short. I tinked back one row. Then two. Still one stitch short! AAARRRGGGHHH!!! I couldn't find the problem and I was only 4 rows above my latest lifeline so I ripped it out...then spent the better part of an hour trying to get my needles back into the row with the lifeline. I was using a piece of dental floss...actually, the same piece of dental floss I had been using and moving since I started. 225 rows later it was pretty much falling apart and really not much good for trying to hold stitches.

Why didn't I just use a fresh piece of dental floss? Is the floss so precious that I couldn't spare 18 inches or so every so often? I would never characterize myself as frugal, but every so often it rears its ugly head. Dental floss, oh boy. Soon I'm going to turn into my mother, who buys a year's worth of bar soap all at once, unwraps them all, and puts them in the cupboard with the sheets because she read somewhere that the longer you let soap dry out, the longer it lasts in the shower. But you know what really makes soap last longer in the shower? Drying it out and leaving it in the shower as a cracked, brittle mess that no one will touch. Her soap lasted a long time but her kids were filthy. Not me, of course. I am naturally crystal clean and always smell like lilacs.

Ahem. Back to the knitting. I finally got the correct number of stitches back on the needles. Then I stayed up late knitting a few rows so I'm back where I started from before I made a mess of things. Ah, progress.

Now I have to decide what knitting stuff I want to bring with me for the move. We have to have everything packed up by Friday but we won't see any of our stuff for at least a week, possibly longer. I think I'm going to bring some yarn for some headbands I downloaded off KnitPicks and maybe some stuff to start a new pair of socks. Woohoo.

3 comments:

Mrs. Homesteader said...

Not to be a nay-sayer....but count on longer and bring more stuff with you than you think you'll need. Just in case. Moving is a pain, but so exciting too! Say hello to the CA sunshine for me! (and enjoy the lack-of-humidity, too!)

Anonymous said...

Drying out will help soap last longer. Most of what you buy at the grocery store isn't real soap, though, and I don't know if it works for that or not.

Anyway, for a lifeline I use sewing thread. Over the years I have had some love affairs with colors that I would never wear now so I have the thread that is perfect for lifelines and nothing else.

Anonymous said...

That's what I hate about lace! Every single row I seem to end up with the wrong number of stitches. I'm always sailing along, and then I get to the end of a row and go, wait a minute, how come I don't have enough stitches to finish a motif?