Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Favorite Colors

I've been on a purple kick lately. Not a royal purple, or a bright purple, but more of a lavender/periwinkle purple. Not a pastel kind, but...a light purple with a certain je ne sais quoi. I would blame it on my Autumn Arbor stole (which is obviously a darker purple), but I've had purple on the brain long before I started knitting that. For quite a few months, I couldn't get enough of light purple. I finished Autumn Arbor, and test knitted another shawl...in a periwinkle color I had to order online especially for this project. I even ordered a sweater's worth of merino/silk yarn from a Little Knits clearance. I've been doing more swatches for J. Knits, and they keep sending me nice purpley-lavender yarn and I couldn't be happier.

So it has been a little strange that in my mind, whenever I look at purple yarn, I hear this voice that says, "No, do it in green! Greeeeeeen! Not purple, GREEN!" Green has always been my absolute favorite color, but I have been very self-conscious of it ever since people started teasing me years ago about only owning green clothing. I think I only own one green t-shirt now, and it's a bright, neon green with a picture of a frog on the front. Not exactly a shirt I can wear anywhere respectable. And yet, in my head, I wear green all the time. I suppose it's similar to how people who lose a lot of weight say they still see themselves as the "fat girl" or something...I still see myself as "that girl who wears nothing but green good god what is wrong with her".

This is getting somewhere, I promise!

Through the purple haze of lavender/periwinkle, green has finally won out. What did it? My birthday present from my brothers:














That is 1100 yards of Claudia Handpainted 100% Silk Lace in the Moss colorway and a copy of Knitted Lace of Estonia, by Nancy Bush. That yarn is gorgeous. It is the most beautiful yarn I have ever owned. It is all shimmery blends of just the right shades of moss, olive, pea, and golden greens you can imagine. All I want to do is knit with it. I want to knit everything in this shade of green. Forever.

Too bad I don't own any other green yarn. :-P

























(I would like to give props to my brothers for getting me such a perfect gift! I would also like to point out that this is incredibly impressive because not only are they both in college, but one of them is colorblind and sees orange when he looks at the greens, and the other one might as well be colorblind, since he picked out the yarn for me to make him these:)

Legwarmers for a 6'3" nineteen year old. Oy.

5 comments:

Yarndude said...

I'm glad you liked the yarn! James and I argued many times about it because I was convinced it was orange, and since he never saw it in person I knew I was right and his monitor was just messed. We got it anyway. :P That legwarmer is beautiful, btw.

Mrs. Homesteader said...

That yarn is beautiful! I can't wait to see what you make with it! I absolutely love that shade of green. Yay!

Hilary said...

Wow, nice job, brothers! What gorgeous yarn...it will turn into something amazing for sure. I feel like everything I knit is either green or grey...looking at my Ravelry page disproves that statement, but I still feel like it's true!

Anonymous said...

This post made me squeal! First of all, I'm a periwinkle fiend - thus, my knitted items tend to vary in and around the purple realm, as if I just have to keep working at it to find the perfect shade.

But green is a color I need to wear more of and have been jonesing for some new yarn. LOVE the brother-gifted silk lace. LOVE IT. I'm staying tuned to see what you make.

Liz said...

I've been really into purple myself lately. Maybe it's contagious?