Monday, March 17, 2008

Mega FO Post

Even though I have a huge thesis paper to write, 2 last courses to finish up, and nearly 2 months left of a full-time internship...I have been doing a little knitting. Here is my FO parade:

Pattern: Wendy Bernard's Easy Flame Lace Scarf
Yarn: 1 hank Knit Picks Shimmer Laceweight in Deep Woods (on clearance!)

The whole thing ended up being 6 feet long and I like it because I'm super tall so I can pull it off. Plus, I can just wrap it around my neck a couple times and it's light yet warm for the windy days we've had down here lately.




Next up:

Another baby hoodie from Debbie Bliss Special Knits
Yarn: Knit Picks Swish Superwash in Truffle (stripes in Deep Ocean)
Mods: I stuck a couple stripes on one sleeve. That's it. But now I can say, "Yeah. I modify sweater patterns to make them look how I want." Because that's a very impressive thing to say.

And finally:

Hallowig from knitty. No mods. Exactly as written. For a gag gift. Sorry, no picture.

First of all, let me say that I have never knit with acrylic yarn before and I HATED IT. I'm a grad student so it's not like I'm rolling in dough, but I have very little free time and I want to spend it knitting with nicer materials than that, so I seek out good deals on things and I only buy what I really like and know I'm going to use. I don't have a huge stash of random yarn, and everything I have is for something specific. So if that makes me a yarn snob, hell, I'll take it! I should have a banner on my blog or something. Too bad I still have two more gag gifts to make out of other acrylic yarn...

Whatever. Back to the knitting. I noticed as I was putting together all these exciting FOs that they're all really small. I have all these fantastic plans for beautiful sweaters and I'm making piddly little projects? I'm kind of annoyed at myself for wasting my time. BUT...right now about all I can manage is something small, so that's OK. I'm looking forward to finishing school and being able to jump into a sweater or something once again.

I found a job down in San Diego that would be perfect for me, so I applied for it on Friday. It's at a certain world-renowned not-for-profit fine arts organization and I'm crossing my fingers that they won't think my little stint in Hollywood is a reason not to consider me for the position. You know...not being "serious" about my art, using this job as a fallback, etc. We'll see. I'll keep you posted because it would be really exciting to get this perfect job before I even graduate so I don't have to worry about taking some lame data-entry job after I move down there.

Oh yes, one more thing. I started this last night:

The Wobbly Circles Tote from IK. As part of my plan to learn colorwork this year, I wanted to start intarsia on something that will be felted to hide any imperfections. It's going pretty quickly and the changing colors keeps it interesting. The only downside is that it's hard to watch foreign-language movies while I'm knitting this because I can't keep up with the subtitles!

Even though I don't have much time for my own blog, I have been keeping up with other peoples' blogs and enjoying all the pretty things everyone is working on. I apologize that I don't have time to comment, but I am reading and admiring all of your work!

1 comment:

Jacey said...

I can't wait to see your Wobbly Circles tote! Also, your scarf is amazing. I'm sure they make a button for stash snobs. ;)