Saturday, April 4, 2009

Look! It's Almost a Sweater!

See that? It's my Little Birds sweater. I'm only 16 rows from finishing. See that coil of blue? I bet you can guess what that is: the end of the line. I am out of blue yarn! I only need the blue for six more rows, but it is simply not going to last that long. Even if I cannibalized my swatch and all the ends from the inside of my sweater, and spit-spliced them to within an inch of their lives, I would be lucky if I got an entire row from it. Most frustrating is the fact that I had to wait six months for the yarn to begin with. I think it should be easier to get another ball this time though--last summer when the pattern came out there was quite a run on this yarn, but I shouldn't have that problem this time. Maybe I'll chuck a couple more balls (of a different color) into my order so I can make a Selbu Modern...I wouldn't want the rest of the blue ball to go to waste, right?

I was hoping to have this sweater all done before my first Year of Lace shipment arrived. I'm expecting it in the mail any day now (maybe today?), and I plan on jumping into it right away. But that's OK...this delay will let me do just that without worrying about leaving my birds to languish in a corner.

P.S. Thank you, Amy, for your kind words and thoughtful advice on my last post. Blogger won't let you reply to comments, so you get a public shout-out instead! The rest of you should check out her website--Amy sounds like good, fun people to me! :)

3 comments:

Jacey said...

Dude, that sucks! You've had bad luck with yarn lately. At least you can take pride in knowing that what you've got so far is gorgeous!

Hilary said...

Ugh, how frustrating! Maybe someone in the ISO/Destash group on Ravelry will have half a ball for you? Someone has got to have some leftovers they don't need.

Anonymous said...

Oh, thank you for the shout-out! Shucks, I'm blushing.

Sorry for your blue shortage - that really does suck. You can console yourself with how fabulous The Birds look, even 16 rows from flying away. Way to pick yourself up by your bootstraps and figure out just what to do with the eventually leftover (almost whole) skein. Lemonade from the lemons.

Have fun with your first Year of Lace delivery...!